Sunday, November 21, 2010

Fabulous Friday


(Tiff and me after the race)


A few months ago, I started a couch-to-5k running program. If you've known me for any amount of time, you know what an AWFUL runner I am, I despised it. But I've had a goal for years now to become a runner, or at least learn to not hate it. A friend of mine suggested a couch-2-5k and thought I'd try it out. Well my friends, it worked!! I am now a huge advocate of it because if I can do it, ANYONE can! It was exactly what I needed to get me there. I had the Gilbert Days 5K as my goal, and it was last Friday. It feels really good to say that I've accomplished my goal and I have no plans of stopping there. Not that I have any intention of ever running a marathon or something crazy like that, but I will continue to run and hope to work up to a 10k.

(after the run, Mason enjoying his "participant" refreshments)

The Gilbert Days is an evening race, which I was kind of excited for, not being a morning person. But, after doing it I'll take a morning race over an evening one any day. Also, a BIG note to self, Do Not eat Mac n' cheese for lunch on race day. Even if it's just a little bit. I could feel all that nastiness the entire race. I don't think there was a second of that race that I didn't have a cramp.

Despite the dumb cramps it was fun. And I even ran it quicker than I expected, my ave mile was a whole minute faster than I thought it would be. Also, Benton brought Macey and our 5-yr-old nephew Mason to come watch and I passed them with about a 1/2 mile left and Mason jumped in and ran the rest of the race with me. It was awesome! That kid is a rockstar! He totally kept up with me the entire time. He even had me doing intervals the last 1/2 mile. He'd, without warning, pull me and start sprinting. Maybe I burned a few extra calories that way?
(me and Mase, we had agreed to flex for the pic, had I known he wasn't, I would've done something less nerdy.)


So...after I ran that 5K, we went home, and ordered pizza, haha. There went those burned calories. Then I went to a wedding reception and ate soup, and 2 mini cupcakes, there they went again, and if that's not bad enough, we went to see Harry Potter and ate popcorn and washed it down with some soda. Why did I run again? Yeah.
Harry Potter was SO FUN! It's awesome to begin with, but it was extra awesome because I got to see it with my good, long lost friend Drew!! We were roomies up at BYU and have seen every "Harry Potpot" together except number 6. This time, the heavens aligned and she just happened to be coming home from Spain for a few weeks just in time for the release. There's no one in this world I'd rather experience those movies with partly because we are both as obsessed as the other. It was just like old times and we picked up right where we left off. I love that girl!!!
(Drewbie and me in the theater awaiting Harry Pot Pot)

1 comment:

akdoxey said...

Well done Britt! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoy it now! I really feel bad that you used to come with me and not enjoy it, did I force you or something?

Anyway, also congrats on the tri. You're lookin' good!

I just saw HP 7 and was ready sit right through the second half...hope you'll get to see it with Drew then too.