Thursday, September 24, 2009

An UNworthy attempt

As some of you may know, I've played the cello for most of my life, all through school and I even played in the BYU Univeristy orchestra for a semester. Now, before you get impressed at all by that, don't. It wasn't like I was on scholarship or anything. They're not allowed to turn anyone away from the Univ. Orchestra, to put it midly, we were TERRIBLE!! I remember laughing out loud, though quietly, during our concert, that's how bad we were.
I haven't really played much, or at all since my days at the Y, that being almost 5 years. I honestly LOVE to play, just haven't had a cello or anywhere to play. But when my sister Katie told me about EVMCO, an LDS orchestra being formed here in the East Valley, it got me all excited.
I had 2 days to prepare. I spend as much time as I could, aside from my motherly and household duties, practicing. And I felt ok about my abilities when I left to go audition. uhh.... yeah, not playing for 5 years, then practicing for 2 days, not such a good idea.
I was the last one in my group to audition, and after listening to each of them, I realized, sure I sounded ok at home, and my mom agreed as any good mom would, but this was not such a good idea. I sounded like I was back in a Junior High orchestra and my play-it-safe song selections weren't going to impress anyone. The judges had all but welcomed each the other musicians into the orchestra, and when I finished, well, at least they were polite enough not to laugh. They simply said, a little too nicely " thanks for coming down! Have a great night" no "good job" or "WOW! that was impressive" like that had after the others. Oh well. At least I know how to laugh at myself and I wont be crushed when I get my email where they will regret to inform me that I did not make the cut. Maybe next time.....

5 comments:

April said...

oh bertle...so to hear that. but all i have to say is that if they were forming a "rock band" group - - you would FOR SURE be picked because of your mad skills.

LOVE the picture of macey at the piano - oh goodness!!!

Patterson Family said...

That is funny, but if I couldn't laugh at myself life would be pretty disappointing! I love to laugh!

I saw a picture of you on my friends blog, Amy Hamblin, and betty sue-do you work together?

Your Macey is so cute! I love your header picture of her! So sweet!

morgan larsen said...

oh no! well macey looks like she has some serious musical ability sitting at the piano... maybe you should go into photography instead of playing the cello, that photo is fantastic!

Lindsey said...

I'm picturing you laughing during your concert and it is making me really happy.

But seriously, I'm impressed that you tried. I would not have been that brave. I'd get in front of the judges and pretend to have a seizure or throw up or something.

Laura said...

Hey, at least you tried! That is definitely a worthy attempt!

The picture on your header is so awesome! Who took that?