So, about 5 hours later we were finally in a room and I got a bed to lay on, Benton, poor guy, got stuck with another uncomfortable chair to sit on, but at least we had some privacy. I was glad for that cuz I'm a nursing mom and hadn't nursed in about 12 hours and well, yeah you get the picture. Benton ran home and brought back my pump, thank heavens!
The doc finally came in and took some blood and ordered an ultrasound and from there they found that my gall bladder was jam packed with stones and the enzyme levels in my liver were elevated which is very bad. So he gave me 2 options, have surgery right then and get the gall bladder out, or wait till it attacks me again to take it out.... yeah, not much of a tough decision to make.
The surgeon came and talked to me, great guy, I'd highly recommend him if you ever need your gall bladder out. He said they were booked all day but he'd try to squeeze me in cuz this thing needed to come out. So we were more or less expecting to be there for most of the day waiting. Mom brought Macey so I could feed her and see her before I went to the OR, which was so nice, I was so sad thinking I wasn't going to be able to see her for 24 hours! Another good/fun thing was that Nadia, my sis-in-law, who happens to be an ER nurse was working that day and she got to be my nurse for the rest of the time in the ER. And my uncle, who is an anesthesiologist (sp)there was working too, so I was in good hands. It was very reassuring being surrounded by family who knows exactly what's going on and knows the docs that were doing my surgery and thought very highly of them. Uncle Dan told me exactly how everything was going to go from start to finish, some may have found it frightening, but I thought it was very cool and interesting, they take your gall bladder out of your belly button!!
So, to our surprise about 9 am, they came to take me up to the O.R. So off we went upstairs. Benton and Uncle Danny gave me a blessing and then they stuck something in my IV and the next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room. I couldn't see very clearly yet, but I spotted my uncle Dan across the way and he came and gave me a full report. Apparently I had a big gall bladder so I had to keep me over night, but everything went very well. The only downside was that they had to keep me over night because my gall bladder was rather large and so they had to make a bigger incision than normal. I didn't mind, staying over night meant more sleep and room service, who can say no to that? So after 5 hours of waiting for a room, I finally got out of the recovery room we got a real room and Benton was soon fast asleep. Poor guy.
I'll tell you the worst part of gall bladder surgery is the shoulder pain!!! They don't touch your shoulders, but it creates gas and makes a bubble that sits up there and gives you heck! The vicaden doesn't help either.
The did some more lab work the next morning and everything looked good, so we were on our way home!! It's good to be back, though it's a lot like being in the hospital, I just sleep a lot and take pain meds, I'm being spoiled. But all is well and I'm SO glad I don't have to worry about being attacked my that silly gall bladder ever again!!








13 comments:
oh =( im so sorry! glad youre ok. thats horrible!
I am glad you are ok. Sorry you had to go through that. Not fun! hows the baby doing? She is so cute. Feel better soon.
Oh my! That doesn't sound fun! I hope you are feeling better and that you and the baby are doing well.
Geez bert, what an ordeal to go through so soon after having a baby. Our neighbor just had that surgery performed and had complications for over a month after so I'm glad all went well for you.
O my goodness! Sorry you had such drama. Hope you feel better soon!
You are one brave chick! I was feeling dizzy just reading that. Hope your recovery goes well.
I hope you are doing okay. I'm sorry that happened, especially with a brand new baby. You're lucky to have a great husband and mom to take care of you. Macey is so cute! Congrats.
You've got such a beautiful little girl there! It's amazing what these kids can do to our insides --sorry about the added drama. Thanks for leaving me some words of encouragement on my hair! I was thinking of you cuz both my kids need a haircut and I'm too afraid to follow your detailed notes without you standing near. HELP!!
Can't wait to meet Macey in person.
Oh Brit- I'm so sorry. That sounds awful. How funny that they take it out of your belly button. I recently met a girl who had the same thing happen after her first baby. Glad you're ok. Poor Brit.
Oh, my goodness! That sounds so sad!!! Glad you are better now! And what a beautiful baby! I just watched your little book of pics! Adorable!!
Wow! That is so crazy!!! Glad everything went well!
That is awful, I am so glad you are ok!
Wow, glad you are okay now. That sounded intense. Your baby is so adorable and I am sure you guys are having fun being new parents :)
Post a Comment