
If you've known me for any amount of time, you probably know I'm not much of a morning person. Never have been. Like, ever. I remember staying up till 10 and later in Kindergarten, 1st grade and thought nothing of it. I've also been known for my chronic tardiness to such things as school, church, and work even because I will try and squeeze in any extra minutes of sleep I possibly can. We're talking pre-school through college here. I'm just not one of those people that wake up and jump out of bed 2 seconds later , all the while singing and smiling to myself at what a beautiful morning it is. Nope. Can't say that I've ever done that. I need a few minutes to lay and just "think" about getting up before I actually do it. Consequently, along with being a non-morning person, I am a night owl. I always catch a second wind around 9 or 10 and end up staying up later than I should/want to. We're not talking crazy late, but if I were to ever be in bed (not asleep, just in bed) by 11, well, I could probably count on 2 hands how many times that has happened.
I will say I'm not as bad as I once was. Having kids has helped my habits a tad, but if Benton's home and able to get up with Macey, you bet I'm gonna "let" him do it. Take today, and yesterday for that matter, I slept in till 9. I know, pretty pathetic, right?
My mom taught the lesson in Relief Society today on The Word of Wisdom. We were discussing a bit about rest, work and exercise and how important each is. There was a quote/scripture read about "retire to thy bed early and arise in the morning early". We've heard "early to bed, early to rise, makes a man, healthy and wealthy and wise" a million times. But somehow is just goes in one ear and out the other. But something today stuck out to me more. Maybe it was the part that it's true doctrine and instruction on how we are supposed to live our lives and take care of our bodies?? Then there were a bunch of sisters commenting on how they get up early to have their "me" time or exercise so as to not take away family time. Wow. Very cool, but 4:45 is a little unrealistic for me. come on.
In the perfect world I have going on in my head, I see myself transforming from unproductive night owl to productive early bird. Getting my workout out of the way first thing, then having some quiet time for scripture study, then making breakfast for my kids while simultaneously throwing in a load of laundry. I want so bad for this to be a reality, though I know I probably can't do all of it, I could probably to some. Ohhhh but I really hate getting up early! It's sooooo hard. I know a big part is just plain laziness, but I know some one out there knows how I feel. Right?
How do you all do it? Any one out there a chronic night-owl turned morning person? What's your secret? I'm on the verge of a major lifestyle change here, I just need a bit of a push, advice, something.
I will say I'm not as bad as I once was. Having kids has helped my habits a tad, but if Benton's home and able to get up with Macey, you bet I'm gonna "let" him do it. Take today, and yesterday for that matter, I slept in till 9. I know, pretty pathetic, right?
My mom taught the lesson in Relief Society today on The Word of Wisdom. We were discussing a bit about rest, work and exercise and how important each is. There was a quote/scripture read about "retire to thy bed early and arise in the morning early". We've heard "early to bed, early to rise, makes a man, healthy and wealthy and wise" a million times. But somehow is just goes in one ear and out the other. But something today stuck out to me more. Maybe it was the part that it's true doctrine and instruction on how we are supposed to live our lives and take care of our bodies?? Then there were a bunch of sisters commenting on how they get up early to have their "me" time or exercise so as to not take away family time. Wow. Very cool, but 4:45 is a little unrealistic for me. come on.
In the perfect world I have going on in my head, I see myself transforming from unproductive night owl to productive early bird. Getting my workout out of the way first thing, then having some quiet time for scripture study, then making breakfast for my kids while simultaneously throwing in a load of laundry. I want so bad for this to be a reality, though I know I probably can't do all of it, I could probably to some. Ohhhh but I really hate getting up early! It's sooooo hard. I know a big part is just plain laziness, but I know some one out there knows how I feel. Right?
How do you all do it? Any one out there a chronic night-owl turned morning person? What's your secret? I'm on the verge of a major lifestyle change here, I just need a bit of a push, advice, something.








7 comments:
Oh my goodness this is SO me. And Daniel is quite the opposite. Over the course of our marriage we have started to compromise (having kids who get up at 6am helps). He stays up a little with me and I get up a little after him. Honestly the kids are what helps me the most - I put them down early so we can have adult time in the evening, then they get us up early. But the alone time at 4:45am still doesn't appeal to me. :) Let me know if you figure it out!
I have the worst of both worlds. I can't stay up late and I can't wake up early. I want to get up early too. Let me know how once you figure it out.
brittany - i know EXACTLY how you feel! I want to be an early bird and not waste away my day...after wyatt turned about 1 and was over the breastfeeding thing, my body kind of went into crash down mode. i suddenly couldn't stay up as long as i wanted to. i, too, get a second wind around 9 or so, but it doesn't last as long as i want it to. i don't have an answer for making the change other than just setting my alarm for an ealier hour. since wyatt was born i could probably count on two hands how many times i have set my alarm in the morning. i am trying to be in bed by 10:30 these days. most days we do it, but you wait up for benton right? i don't have to do that luckily. i don't think i will EVER be able to happily get up before the sun and get in my work out/devotion time, but 6:30 or 7 might be doable. i think if we just gradually set our alarms a little earlier each day, we can handle it a bit better.
hey - would you want to be accountability partners and get up earlier each day? think about it!
I'm the same way but have slowly been changing. Gradual is the key...and having a kid that has to get to school before 8 everyday, but now even on the weekends I get up about the same time, 7ish. I know 7 isn't 4a.m. but I used to be chronically getting up at 9 or 10. Now I just focus on going to bed earlier so that I can get up early and not be tired all day. Baby steps, I find it easier to go to bed earlier than get up earlier. Maybe someday I'll make to getting up earlier.
Bertha- you are funny!!! You make me miss sleepovers! I was never allowed to sleep in growing up, but I sure love sleep. Ben gives me a hard time everyday- I need like 9 hours or else. But, I've been going to the gym around 6- so I can be home before Ben leaves for school. And it is awesome. I fight it a couple times a week, but I feel like I am a better person towards kids. But I tell myself, if I get up early I get a nap while the kids nap. I don't know what i'll do when they stop napping. Just do it! But you do have to give yourself a realistic bed time.
if you change this you will be .. um, amazing! its hard to change. i slowly did it after i moved to az. i realized the only time that is usually nice out (especially in the summer) was early in the morning. so i forced myself to get up early so i could breathe in some cool air, walking outside to just breathe totally woke me up. helped me sooooo much! the birds chirping is a nice thing too :) its just peaceful.. i began to love mornings!
Your notorious early-bird friend is struggling with this very thing. I keep just telling myself that this is just the phase of life. I'm never not tired. I could sleep all day. I will admit, the days I get up early and exercise don't always go better, sometimes I'm more tired which is way different than it used to be for me- that's why I think it's a phase and I'm so through with it but wait...I'm not. Good luck! I think the only trick is to start waking up early, you can't start going to bed early until you're tired enough to do so. I miss you!
Post a Comment