Thursday, November 8, 2012

To my kids: Election Day 2012

I'm sitting in the Denver airport waiting for my flight and thought I'd write a wee bit about the election, 2 days ago, and why I felt so heart broken, defeated and sad yesterday. I'm doing much better today, thank goodness, but he reasons for those feelings are still there, and not going anywhere even though I am trying my best to have faith and deal with the cards we have been dealt. That being said, I'm using my cell phone, so ill probably get sick of typing on the tiny keyboard and will likely put off finishing it until later, and hopefully I do. 
I was wallowing all day yesterday. All day. It was not my favorite day, not by a long shot. Romney lost the election and it seemed like all hope was lost. I read dozens of blog posts, Facebook statuses and had many conversations with a lot of friends and all of their concerns echoed my own. It seems like there is so much more to worry about now, and with good reason. I watched my kids run around the yard playing and laughing and not having a care in the world. How I envied them and their joy. But it is for them that I worry the most. It is you, macey and crew and this unborn baby, that will pay the heaviest price for the choice our country made 2 days ago. That is why mom was so emotional and crazy yesterday. ( I'm sure these pregnancy hormones helped a little). I worry about that you will not know the great America dad and mom and all older generations glad the privilege to grow up and live in. You may not fully understand what the "American dream" is all about. You will be surrounded by people that truly believe you don't have to work for what you want and need and what the wonderful value of hard work is worth. I worry with all the taxes and inflation and whatnot that is surely coming our way that we will not be able to provide the life for you we would like to. We will make do and be happy though, that is something the government cannot take away from us. I'm afraid for what you will e taught in school. I have a notion of the ideas and tempatations and things you will be bombarded with: the breakdown of the family, gay marriage, legalized drugs and so many others to add to what is already out there. We will be tested everyday and even though our job as parents will undoubtedly get harder and harder, we will do our best to step up to the plate to instill in and teach you true and honest virtues, to live the gospel and to not be afraid to stand for what you know and believe in. 
I want you to why I voted for Romney. It wast because he is republican or a Mormon. It is because I truly believe he was what our country needed at this time. He recognized the severe economic crisis we are in and what will happen if it isn't fixed. He had a real plan to fix it. I voted for him because I do not believe in the redistribution of wealth, and I don't believe the government has the right to tell us who has too much and who needs more. Our country needs and thrives on rich successful people. They provide jobs and help keep our economy going. I whole heartedly believe that everyone should and can work hard and make a living. All the handouts our government are giving out is making people lazy and allowing them to feel entitled. This is so detrimental to our nation, and future. Life is not easy, it wasn't meant to be easy. I voted Romney because he would have done away with Obamacare.  Don't even get me started. We need to take care of our health and bodies!! That's our best defense now! I voted for Romney because he never would have apologized to terrorists for our having he first amendment and freedom of speech. He never would have blamed a terrorist attack that killed american ambassadors on a video. I voted for Romney because he loves God. He would not dream of removing Him from his platform and making Him and religion obsolete. He recognizes we have this great country because of God. This is the promised land founded by men who were inspired by God. 
I could go on for days I feel. There are so many reasons why I voted for Romney and why I'm so sad he didn't win. After my initial reaction and wallowing, I have read and listened to several scriptures and quotes from prophets and apostles.  They have helped me remember its going to be ok. The best thing we can do is still the same. Love the gospel and trust in and love The Lord. We need to have faith in America , it is still great. We need to earnestly pray for our leaders. Yes, things are going to get bad, times will be hard. We will have to fight harder than we know, I think. We will face ridicule and hardship for our beliefs. But we will press on in righteousness. We already know who wins and how it all ends. We alresdynknownwhos team were on,and it is essential we never stray away from that. America's greatness will be restored and we will be ok. 

1 comment:

Ralae said...

I hear ya... My thoughts exactly!